What's a minecraft skinning habit/pet peeve you have?

Juillyoom's Avatar Juillyoom12/5/23 2:44 pm
12/6/2023 10:16 am
Juillyoom's Avatar Juillyoom
Title says it all.
Juillyoom
Level 42 : Master Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

anonpmc4611129
12/06/2023 12:21 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
BlueBoyBuilds
12/05/2023 9:44 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blueberry
I feel as though I never stay consistent with one style, although it is somewhat evening out, it still never feels like my own. :/

As for a pet peeve, great creators going unnoticed, and other creator’s potential being thrown away.
I’d say that PMC has one of the most caring, supportive, and creative communities out there, but, when we support new creators automatically, they’re getting this “inflated” support, which leaves them content with making lower quality content.
While yes, it’s wonderful having support when starting, I feel like we are supporting people in the wrong way. Support is not just giving someone a diamond and a favorite, it’s highlighting what they love about the content, encouraging and engaging with the creator, pushing them to grow.
As for the great creators going unnoticed, with waves of new members, it can be hard to notice everyone, and so when there is floods of skins being constantly made, it’s hard finding that diamond in the rough.
With any form of creative media, you need to be, well, creative! Think outside the box, and push yourself to stand out with your content! What makes you and your content yours? What do you uniquely offer to the community?

Sorry for the rant, it’s just been something on my mind for a while. :/
Drzzter
12/05/2023 10:55 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
history
You reminded me of another pet-peeve of mine that's only tangentially related to the topic of skinning-specific complaints. I see a lot of "inflated" support in the shape of sub-for-sub/diamond-for-diamond/favorite-for-favorite or "notification spamming" and while it's all well-and-good and I'm glad that people get excited when they see their notifications explode, I feel like it has the side effect of devaluing diamonds/favorites/emeralds when you can count on the same group of 10-20 people to spam your notifications and boost your xp/level.

In the grand scheme of things, they're just internet points and don't mean anything. However, in an online content creation community where the "success" or "skill" of a user is measured by those things, I believe it negatively impacts people who aren't "in the loop", so to speak. A new user who is showing off a very promising, growing skill-set is often times overshadowed by a well-liked member whose skillset -- while not bad -- has stagnated like you mentioned.

I think it's important to browse the latest skins/maps/what-have-yous every once in a while to find those up and coming users who don't have a bunch of people to spam their notifications. Give them a diamond if you think their work is good or they might become even better with a little encouragement. Show them that our community cares about our creators, and that it's not just a matter of "knowing the right people" or begging for content interaction.

I agree with your points, also. They're not really something I had thought about before, but I think they make sense and are interesting to think about, to boot.
JustaFlqmingo
12/05/2023 9:05 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Birb
Mine would be to get so angry and annoyed whenever I would see somewhat title a skin "hive style" just because hive style was trending and they thought it would be hip and swag to get their skin on the hive style train for views

besides others, one would be to forget to save a skin because "Ill do it later"

then the skin accidentally gets deleted and I lose 4 hours of time ill never get back

last one is probably comparing myself to others and then thinking my skins suck and taking months off
WaffleWolf-
12/05/2023 8:08 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Waffle
I have such a bad habit of starting skins, not finishing them n then moving on to something else. I have multiple unfinished skins. A couple fanvember ones n they're just sitting there
Steb
12/05/2023 8:02 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Warrior
I had to take a double take with that title. It took a second to realize this was about minecraft skins lol
Juillyoom
12/06/2023 10:16 am
Oh goodness gracious.

Pardon.
DoraAurora
12/05/2023 3:39 pm
Level 21 : Expert Warrior
Start making the skin and it looks ugly af
Kaysoka
12/05/2023 11:08 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Elf
All forms of art go through an ugly phase before they become beautiful ;)
DoraAurora
12/06/2023 8:38 am
Level 21 : Expert Warrior
true :D
Drzzter
12/05/2023 3:01 pm
I have a habit of putting a lot of my effort/energy into making a skin's face + hair look good (to me). I think it's important to capture a character's mood/style when you make a skin, and a lot of that comes from making sure the face is shaded uniquely and the hair has a bold enough design to evoke the what you want to evoke. i.e, adding more complex shading to an old/stern character to make the face look more angular or worn, adding dark lines under the eyes to indicate fatigue, you can get experimental with eyebrows, scarring, tattoos, and the mouth's expression too.

By that same metric, I think I could say skins with boring faces is a pet peeve of mine, though I don't feel super-super strongly about it. I don't like when a skin's face/hair looks like a "template" or "base". The more expressive or unique you can make the expression/shading/hair, the better IMO. :]
Juillyoom
12/05/2023 3:11 pm
While i do agree on the fact that if the face is too "unexpressive" it looks like a dummy or a robot or something like that, i have to admit i suck at making faces.
Drzzter
12/05/2023 3:20 pm
I've made a lot of unexpressive skins in my time, too. It takes a lot of time to get comfortable with and branch out from. Don't be afraid to try new things or get inspired by other people. TheMechanist, herywald, DatMuffinMan, and TRUEGARRY all have some good examples of non-conventional face/hair shading/design. :]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome