Why Do People Hate This "Movie Trope"?local_movies

Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum9/7/23 1:00 am
3 emeralds 224 4
9/9/2023 7:45 pm
Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum
This has really been bugging me lately, but I've noticed that some animated films are hated by folks despite how good they can be. The common nitpick is this: the protagonist transforms into an animal somewhere in the plot.

Why are people upset about this? The main targets of this sort of criticism are films like Brave and The Princess and the Frog. I've read why some people hate these films, and some of their arguments have merit to them. But once in a while someone spits on one of these movies for having an important character turn into an animal and say that the whole movie is ruined because of it.

I still haven't heard anyone state why they hate such a specific trope which I find to be harmless. I've only heard vague stuff like, "Animal characters just tell stupid jokes and make clumsy slapstick for babies. It's lazy writing." It just sounds like they're shutting themselves off whenever someone transforms into a nonhuman creature on screen and stops watching the movie before it's over.
Dermugettum
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

yogurt_the_lizorb
09/09/2023 6:25 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Procrastinator
i think it might be because a lot of those movies show the human design in the trailer but replace it in that scene with the animal design as well as make most of the movie shows the animal design? someone who didnt like the trope and it's a pretty understandable argument, but this person only disliked the ones that did the misleading trailer thing i mentioned, so i dont think its the reason most of the people who dont like it dont like it
Dermugettum
09/09/2023 7:45 pm
Level 22 : Expert Miner
history
I've heard that too, but when was the last time a good movie trailer was made? Trailers will either lie about the plot, spoil jokes so the movie isn't even funny anymore, summarize the plot so it's too boring to watch, or raise people's expectations only to be crushed by a stupid twist or reveal that no one wanted (i.e. twist villain, lame unmasking, poor motives).

I think someone will have to do better than "trailer expectations" to explain why they can't stand a character transformation in film.
TravisaInc
09/07/2023 6:24 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Batman
The Movie Ladybug & Cat Noir is better than the series.
Lasercraft32
09/07/2023 1:25 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
That's such a random thing to hate on... I'm lucky enough to have never encountered someone complain about this trope.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome